Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Nordic Walker Sighting




Peanut and I were going to the little pond in our neighborhood to feed the ducks when I heard a familiar 'click, click, click, click' in tune to the footsteps of a 'stick walker'.

I didn't think anything of it until later when I realized I had sighted a Nordic Walker! And, possibly, a Finn!

Nordic Walking is a form of fitness training originating in Finland. Skiing fans wanted a way to keep training during the summer months when there was no snow. It turned into walking with ski poles, of sorts. I never tried, but knew many people in Finland who did. My friend, Maiju, coincidentally just picked up the sport with her husband and blogs about it in a recent post.

Its gaining popularity across Europe and even made it onto CBS news....so watch out, a new fitness craze is on its way.

No comments: