Monday, September 11, 2006

Freddy and Fredericka


As we spent the empty hours before we departed Dallas -Ft Worth for our vacation, I snagged Mark Helprin's latest book, Freddy and Fredericka , thinking that I'd never get to read it. I wasn't even sure I would like it. The back cover made it sound quite dull and simple - the prince and princess of Wales go on an adventure. But, I've read plenty of other Helprin and am always swallowed up by his tales.

There were plenty of nights I snuck off to bed early so I could read. Peanut's papa would poke his head in several times wondering what on earth I was laughing about so hard. A few times, I actually had to catch my breath before I could just and just get it out before I cracked up again. Beyond the outright hiliarious fun of the story, there are plenty of big issues to think about and wonder, just how did our world become so odd.

Before I knew it, I was reading while Peanut played with her toys outside, when papa and Peanut were in the bath and even early in the mornings before anyone else woke up.

I won't review the book or its story - plenty of others have - but, I do highly recommend it for anyone who like Helprin or has never even heard of him.

No comments: